09 August 2011

Insalata di Sgombro

The other night I threw together a quick salad on an experimental whim. I started with the idea of cooking sliced red onion in salt. Left for twenty minutes in salt, onions sweat out their water, turn translucent and get very sweet. I decided to use the salt and capers from my homemade salted capers and it infused the mixture with an amazing caper aroma! 


I gave the onions and capers a good rinse and added them to some freshly sliced tomatoes, which balanced the remaining saltiness. 
  

After a good stir I added filets of canned mackerel called sgombro in Italian (fresh white fish like sole or tilapia would work well also). 


I wasn’t sure how it would come out, but it was amazing! The onion and caper concoction was truly delicious and would be great as a topping for all sorts of things! Give it a try yourself--even if you don’t have capers--‘cooking’ onions in salt for 20-30 minutes renders them sweet and delicious. 


Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments.

Vernazza Updates:

Vernazza is well on its way to normalcy and while I no longer write updates on their status, you can learn about the devastating floods of 2011 by clicking the label "Vernazza Updates". For the latest information from the organizations in Vernazza and Monterosso, visit SaveVernazza and Rebuild Monterosso.

Past Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...